Alt Center 6: Genetic Sovereignty
It’s a brave new world of government approved profiling, corporate price hikes, and… organ repossession?… when George and Andrew discuss the potential impact of widespread genetic testing.
- Potential impact of HR1313.
- How effective are workplace wellness programs?
- Report to Congress on the effectiveness of workplace wellness programs.
- GINA act of 2008.
- Some genetic disorders are more common among ethnic groups, so we must be wary of governments, employers, and insurance companies discriminating.
- Cuban lung cancer treatments are now being tested in the United States.
- Designer babies don’t exist yet, but scientists want them to… mostly for good reasons, but keep an eye on this.
- The Tuskegee Experiment doesn’t give us a lot of reason to trust medical researchers to always make the most ethical decisions.
- A few states still require blood testing for marriage.
- Ethnic bio-weapons don’t currently exist, but governments are thinking about them.
- Correlative links between creativity and depression.
- Fictional Genetic Futures: