Alt Center 7: Private Health Insurance
Feeling sick? Sorry, but you’re going to need a referral for that sneeze. We’ll get back to you in two to nine business days. While you’re waiting, maybe consider listening to George and Andrew talk about how bad it can be to have decent insurance, let alone trying to get medical treatment on a cut rate plan.
Links and notes:
- If we kill 5% of the population we’ll save 50% of our medical costs.
- Average cost of insurance (as of 2015).
- All the lovely pre-existing conditions that insurance companies want to use to invalidate coverage.
- The 80/20 rule: Trying to get companies to focus on treatment instead of profit… with mixed results.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners report card of how insurance is working as a business in your state. (Link is for Virginia. Change the “VA” in the URL to your state’s abbreviation to get your card.)
- FORTUNE talks about the problems and exploitation of insurance.
- CEO pay is disgusting, but capping it wouldn’t really help Americans pay less for insurance. Or earn more money at their jobs.
- Well, except if we tie pay to health and worker retention, rather than pure profit. Then we’re using pay to… ok, enough ranting… we’ll deal with that later…